CLICK HERE FOR LARGER TYPE. NOTE: THIS WORKSHOP HAS CONCLUDED.
Joan Vienot Plein Air Painting Workshop – Three Days, with optional additional half-day on Selecting a Plein Air Subject
Cultural Arts Alliance, Santa Rosa Beach, FL, 10/15-10/17/16
Painting “en plein air” is painting on-site, in open air. Joan Vienot will provide demonstrations and instruction each morning, with individual assistance and mentoring in the afternoon as participants paint subjects of their own choosing.
This workshop will provide new insight to accomplished painters, and courage for the beginner, with focus on simplification of the scene, using value and intensity to create believable composition, and enhancement of color through temperature relationship. Joan will instruct in oil painting but all media are welcome. Please don’t buy new supplies if you have similar supplies.
An optional half-day pre-workshop will help the painter decide how to choose a subject to paint en plein air, observing the changing light and shadow, practicing “thumbnail” sketching, and planning interesting compositions.
Wear comfortable shoes and clothing appropriate for the weather. We will be outdoors.
Suggested Supplies, Optional Half-Day Pre-Workshop: Choosing a Plein Air Subject , 10/14/16
- Sketchbook (Joan uses toned tan or toned gray)
- Soft pencil and sharpener
- White conte or pastel
- Viewfinder or phone camera
3-Day Plein Air Painting Workshop $250
Optional half-day Pre-Workshop $35
- Lightweight stool – optional
Joan Vienot: Three Days En Plein Air, 10/15 – 10/17/16
In addition to all of the Pre-Workshop supplies above…
- Portable easel (Joan uses the James Coulter system)
- At least 2 canvases or canvas panels, one for each day (Joan uses at least 8×10, canvas or linen panels)
- Palette… (Joan uses gray disposable palette paper)
- Brushes – a few well-shaped flats (Joan uses Rosemary Ivory #2, 4, 6, 8)
- Odorless solvent (Joan uses Gamsol)
- Medium (optional) and small open container for medium (If any, Joan uses linseed oil and possible Liquin)
- Paper towels (Joan uses Viva)
- Warm and cool of each primary color (Joan uses ultramarine blue, cerulean blue, cadmium red light, cadmium red deep, cadmium yellow pale, cad. yellow medium, common brands, artist quality)
- Titanium white soft
- Transparent iron oxide
- Optional additional colors of your choice (Joan uses Gamblin warm white, Gamblin naples yellow, and pale pink/”flesh”)
- Mixing knife / palette knife)
- Apron or paint shirt and painting gloves
- Small trash bags. Recycled grocery bags are good.
- Personal comfort: shade umbrella, broad-brimmed hat, sunscreen, repellent, water
- Wet painting carrier or box
- Optional: Frames for end-of day instructor critiques
NOTE: THIS WORKSHOP HAS CONCLUDED.
8:00 AM, Bayou Arts Center, 105 Hogtown Bayou Lane, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
Optional Half-Day Pre-Workshop, 8 AM to noon 10/14/16: Selecting a Subject for Plein Air: $35.00. For workshop participants.
Plein Air Painting Workshop, 8 AM to 4 PM 10/15 – 10/17/16: $250. Daily rate not available.
Register with Lee Greene at CAA, firstname.lastname@example.org, (850) 622-5970.